Wednesday 8 July 2009

Mourning Michael

The last couple of weeks have been very emotional for 3 of my 'boys' with Michael Jackson passing away. Aaron grew up loving MJ as a teenager and especially loved his music during the 1980s. Over the last 10 or 15 years he has commented that the Michael Jackson we know now, isn't the one he loved growing up, but he (and I) still appreciated his talent and how much he was a genius in the music industry.

Jay and Harri didn't know much at all about Michael Jackson until about 6 months ago when Australian Idol was on. One night they had a Michael Jackson theme night and Wes Carr sang 'Black and White' and did the moonwalk. Jay thought it was fantastic and we pulled out some old DVDs and told him that if he thought that was good, then he should check out Michael Jackson's DVD clips. Since then Jay and Harri has been totally obsessed with Michael Jackson. They watched his DVDs over and over again, and listened to his CDs at night when they went to bed. They even wanted to buy hats to look like Michael Jackson and started putting on concerts for us!

Kobe is obviously wanting to follow in his big brother's footsteps and also puts on the boys hats whenever they leave them laying around.

Jalen's favourite MJ song is 'Smooth Criminal', and Harri loves 'Billie Jean' or 'Billy Jeans' as he calls it! They even wanted to get a white glove so they could be even more like MJ. Grandma has promised to sew sequins on it for them.

Last week the Young Women from church came around for their mutual night to read books to the boys. After reading a few books, the boys decided to put on a concert for them.

Danika knew a few 'Thriller' moves of her own!

When the boys found out that he passed away they were all very upset. Jalen said he had a little tear as he was walking to school that morning and Harri wanted to look at everything that was in the newspapers about him. Harri kept saying that we couldn't sing Michael Jackson's songs anymore because he was dead, and I told him that we still could and he was then still very upset and said 'but Michael Jackson can't, because he can't move, or sing, or dance and his heart doesn't work anymore!'.

This morning Aaron got up at 2.45 am to watch the memorial service live. He was very emotional when I got up and said that he felt like he had lost 'a friend' as he remembered that he listened to Michael Jackson's music all the time when his family was going through a hard time, so it brought a lot of memories back. He recorded it, so Harri and I watched it this afternoon. Harri wasn't really sure what was going on and I explained to him that Michael Jackson was in the special box with the flowers on the top . He looked very shocked and then asked 'where's Heavenly Father!!!?' as he knew that MJ is with Heavenly Father. I then reminded him that his body was still on earth, but his spirit was with Heavenly Father and he then asked 'where's his glove and hat!?'. He was quite concerned about them!

I have to admit I had a few tears myself as we watched it. It's very sad to think that three children have lost their Dad. No matter how unusual he turned out to be, his music is incredible and there will never be anyone else like him again. My boys definitely will never let us forget him or his music! If you are ever in the mood for some MJ hits, just come to the King house and I'm sure they will put on a live concert for you! ;)

14 comments:

  1. The morning MJ passed my children watched four hours of news while Ricky kept asking why I wasn't as sad as him, he also grew up to the classics and just like your boys learned to dance from the King of Pop! Funny the impact of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is Ricky a little older than you Vienna? Aaron finds it hard that people younger than us don't appreciate MJ like we do - as we knew him when he was quite 'normal' and before all the allegations etc. A lot of teenagers now (listen to me sounding old now!!!) just know him as being a strange guy who liked plastic surgery and little boys and monkeys. They don't appreciate everything before that like we do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten how much of Michaels's music I loved when I was a teenager, and wasn't prepared for how emotional I've been watching the coverage. There's no denying Michael was a little unusual - especailly in the later years, but I also think he was misunderstood and badly misrepresented by the media. There will never be anyone like him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A legend in his own right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi this is Ricky, just so you know Vienna is a bit younger than I am. She thought Michael Jackson's 1st number one hit was "Black and White" (She even thought that he was originally white) Yes I'm sorry to say my poor wife didn't appreciate the man that shaped Pop music. I mean what do you expect from some one with a CD collection which include the Spice Girls, the Dixie Chickens girls and the Pussy Cat Dolls. I mean the only thing Michael Jackson and the Pussy Cat Dolls have in common is... I love watching them dance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does this mean another M.J. marathon this Friday night again?!!!!
    Hope his kids have a better life than him, but I don't see that happening.
    I did shed a tear when Paris spoke about her father, and really felt for his brothers.
    Love Mum.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ricky. I don't think we have met before have we, but I wish we had as you crack me up!!! Yes - the youngin's these days don't appreciate MJ like us oldies :) When I met Aaron he used to listen to the Jackson 5 flat out. Not to say he doesn't also have a little bit of dodgy stuff in his collection including the Spice Girls AND the Dixie Chicks and that useless blonde haired bimbo who can't sing - Britney! He has some good stuff, and then he lets himself down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thats so cute that your little boys are so into mj! must admit my appreciation for him has grown since he died!

    (i used to think that the words to billie jean were "your dirty jeans are not my style" - oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aah I think the 30 somethings appreciate MJ more than the 20somethings. I mean we grew up with him, were teenagers in the 80s when his hits started a-coming. I taped the interview with him, after the encore presentation of his memorial as I found that very interesting to see him so candid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, I loved MJ in the 8o's! I had all his tapes...I had even taught Jayme the moonwalk (he's better at it than me now). I deffinitely felt the loss and cried all the way to work on the morning he passd away.
    P.S I'm 38 :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. just caught a bit of the service last night after the bedtimes stories with Hattie and Kelv was at his meetings...i must admit i was never a fan...just didnt like the "frontal crotch grasp" thing and was never into his weird dressing...but i can appreciate for some he was their everything...he will leave a hole in the music world ...thankfully his life will live on in his children...he obviously loved them in the only way he knew how and they loved him

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, don't knock The Dixie Chicks.
    Love Mum.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. i have to admit i shed a few tears for Michael too...
    so nice to discover your blog!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. He wasnt weird, just misunderstood. Had we walked in his shoes we may have been the same. He was a wonderful dad and his is our brother. 2000 years ago a guy named Jesus was thought to be weird too, by the people of his day. NOt saying MJ is in the same league. But he was as normal as you or I to those who love him. People think I am weird too. But I think I am normal. People get jealous when others succeed and do well. He would have been welcome in my home anytime . A Mum, who loves all

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...