Monday 10 December 2012

Crashed the Christmas Party

It's a really hard month this month for a few reasons. The obvious one being Christmas - the second one without Noah and the first one without Aaron.  I'm hoping the month will go really fast so that we can say we got through our first Christmas without Aaron.

As hard as this month is I still look forward to spending time with family and friends, even when it's to do with Christmas. Weekends are particularly hard when we are out of our routine and trying to fill in the days without Aaron and Noah, so on Saturday we decided to gate crash the Deloraine ward's church Christmas party since it's my Mum and Dad's ward and we have lots of friends there.

It was a beautiful, hot sunny day and it was lovely to sit under the shade of the Porter's trees, eating and chatting.


My brother Jared and Becky and the kids also gate crashed the party :)
The kids had fun playing games organised by Simon.

Well some of the kids played the games.  Harri decided it was more fun playing with all the bigger boys. He's so used to hanging out with Jay all the time, that he'd prefer to hang out with the bigger kids. 

Jay on the other hand prefers to just sit quietly and hang out with the adults lately.  I just wish that he was like Harri, running around having fun with kids his age. He's been much happier in the last month, but I know how he feels so I'm trying to be patient with him and just let him hang out with me if that's what he feels like doing. I think we have relied on each other so much over the last ten months, that he just feels comfortable being with me all the time.
The kids put on a very cute nativity play for everyone.  Don't you just love the donkey :)
'Baby Jesus' was all set with his sun hat.


Rusty the bull was getting lots of attention as usual.

The boys still remember the last time we spent time there and Gus showed us how Rusty likes to eat his apples.  There were a few brave people who fed Rusty some apples by putting it in their mouth. I felt like I was going to vomit when I saw all the cow slobber all over their face!
Rusty is so tame and didn't mind giving people rides on his back for hours.

Kobe was so excited about the visit from Santa.

Santa and Mrs Claus gave out bags of lollies and as they handed out the lollies Mrs Claus would say each child's name. She had to ask a few kids what their names were and Harri grabbed his lollies and then said 'Santa didn't even know my name!!'.
Kobe patiently waited for his bag of lollies.


To end the party the kids all went on a hayride. 

It was a lovely day and it was nice to spend time with family and friends. 

11 comments:

  1. Awesome Christmas! I spent the whole post wondering why your Santa doesn't wear short sleeves since it's not winter when you have Christmas, but then I remembered he's from the North Pole and he probably doesn't have time to change. Duh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol Leslie! That made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was born in Connecticut and grew up in Chicago, and I can't get over the fact that you guys are wearing shorts and t shirts for Christmas! Crazy! Do Australians associate snow with Christmas? Sorry if this is stupid, but i'm so fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi anonymous :) Yes we actually do associate snow with Christmas which is crazy really. We have decorations with snow on them, have snow men on stockings etc, and we even sing White Christmas :)
    I did have a white Christmas in Canada once and it was great to experience but I'm glad we have Christmas in the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so funny that you sing White Christmas even though its like 90 degrees out! Maybe one day I can spend Christmas there. Do you guys have ugly Christmas sweater parties or whatever? What are some Australian Christmas traditions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. No we don't have ugly sweater parties (we would call them jumpers :) but that would be fun! Mostly we have lots of Christmas BBQs. Because it's summer it's the end of the school year too so we just hang out for summer holidays - lots of BBQs, end of year work dinners, trips to the beach (where we will be going this Christmas Day) etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,

    Like the others I find it funny to be celebrating Christmas in the summer. Looks like you had a good time but the funniest part is the expression on old Rusty's face that kinda says "Why do I have to do this"??
    PS: Do you realize how talented you are?

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Robin and I live in Boise, Idaho. I was wondering what you mean when you refer to "tea". Is it lunch, dinner, or snack?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish I had a Christmas party to "crash!" Looks like ALOT of fun!!! Love the baby with his sun hat! Kind of reminds me of family get-togethers in Florida where my grandparents had a winter home. When I was a kid we would celebrate Christmas in the hot Florida sun! My friends back in Ohio would all be envious of my suntan when I returned!
    Thanks for sharing Christmas in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful time spent with family and friends! We visited Deloraine when we went to Tassie in 2009. Deloraine was by far one of our favourite places, we loved breakfast at the deli there! :) Blessed Christmas to you and your boys x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Robin from Boise. When I say 'tea' it is what you would call 'dinner' - the evening meal :) thanks for your comment xxx

    ReplyDelete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...