Saturday 4 May 2013

My Veggie Garden

Our garden at our new house is of course nothing like our beautiful landscaped garden at our old house, but it's well established and just the right size so that we have a little bit of space, but not too much to look after. 

One thing that I really hated leaving at our old house was my veggie boxes that Aaron had built after we moved into our old house.  I knew that I could have a veggie garden at our new house but I was so sad having to leave something that Aaron actually built for us as a family.  

The day that our new house settled my amazing friends Annette and Kelvin came to our old house and dug up a couple of our special trees and bushes that the new owner of our house gave us permission to take with us.  I hated having to leave my whole garden behind, but it was nice being able to bring a couple of special things that Aaron had planted after Noah passed away.  

They replanted them at our new house and we were hoping that they would survive the trauma of being moved even though it was summer.   Amazingly they have.  I can't wait for spring and summer to see them flowering again, knowing that they were orginally planted by Aaron.

Nettie and Kelv are amazing gardeners and knew how much I loved having a veggie garden.  A few weeks after we moved they grabbed me at church and asked me what I was doing the following Saturday. I told them that we weren't doing anything and Nettie said 'we are coming around.  Kelvin has got a couple of raised garden beds he'll put together and we will get your veggie garden ready'.  

I was so happy to know that I could still have a veggie garden and that it wasn't going to take ages to get one together as I knew it would be a lot of work for me to do it on my own.  

The next Saturday they turned up with the boxes already put together and a ute full of soil and pea straw. 
I already knew where I wanted them to go as it's a spot that gets the sun all day long.   The previous owners of the house already had a small veggie box which was full of zucchinis and beetroot when we moved in.
The boys had fun helping out, filling the boxes up with soil.
It hardly took any time and I had some new raised veggie boxes, ready to be planted out.  Thank you so much Nettie and Kelv - you guys are the biggest legends ever.  It would've taken me forever to do on my own.
A few days later my friends Karina and Gordon popped by for a visit to talk to me about sorting out a veggie garden (Gordon is also an awesome gardener).  They were happily surprised that Nettie and Kelv had already come to help me out.  A day later they arrived with a heap of seedlings which they even planted out for me!  I have all my winter veggies planted out, and can't wait until they're ready to eat.
I'm always reminding my boys that yes, we have had some terrible things happen to us over the past eighteen month, but we have also had so many blessings.  One of my biggest blessings is to have so many amazing friends who just jump in to help us out.   I'm sure Aaron and Noah are smiling down all the time, so grateful that people let us know that we aren't alone.  

12 comments:

  1. Nothing more lovely than raising your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeh in Georgia,USA4 May 2013 at 13:31

    How awesome! It is great to see spontaneous service at work! I am sure your friends had SO much fun,too! I think it's wonderful you can grow veggies in the winter down in Australia...not so much in the states, as we have to wait 'til Spring to get things planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We usually plant again in October - all the things that we eat during summer, but it's nice to be able to grow things at this time of the year too :)

      Delete
  3. gotta love the church for being so service orientated
    IT ROCKS!
    nicola

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your strength is truly inspirational after what you and your family have been through. The way you can still see the good around you even though you and your boys are trying to figure out the world with 2 missing members is truly amazing. Your boys are very lucky to have you as mother.
    Hope your veggie patch turns out well! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brittany. We are very blessed in so many ways. Life is definitely hard, but looking at the positives is what keeps me going. xx

      Delete
  5. Fabulous to see those around you supporting you and lifting you up.
    Aren't veggie patchs wonderful things! So nice to just pick food straight from the garden to the kitchen! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so fulfilling picking things you have grown hey. It's always nice to eat it and knowing how fresh it is too. I can't wait for my summer garden - I'm missing lots of fresh tomatoes :)

      Delete
  6. It makes me feel good to know that good people like that are in the world willing to fill someone's need without being asked. Sometimes I worry about the world my sons are growing in, and the. Things like this remind me how much goodness there is in people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some amazing friends who just help out without me asking. There are so many amazing people out there that's for sure. Thanks for your comment. xx

      Delete

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...