Thursday 21 June 2007

Jitterbugs


That is the name of Jalen's basketball team! Jay loves the name - everytime we go to basketball he starts singing the song 'Wake me up before you go go' - as the first line in the song says 'jitterbug'. Although he wasn't around in the awesome 80's he knows the song from Singstar on the Playstation 2.


He plays at the YMCA. They play for an hour each week - the first half an hour is training with two teams together - they play fun games and do drills to (hopefully) improve their basketball skills and the second half an hour is a game. The ages range from 4-8 year olds so you can imagine the difference in the skills level! It is quite a laugh. The people who train the kids and umpire the games are great - they try to make it fair for everyone and let them get away with a lot - let's just say there is a lot of travelling that doesn't always get pulled up! It is all about learning and having fun. They don't even keep score, but Jalen always manages to tell us the score at the end of the game - especially if they win!


Jay loves it - on his team is Sophie who is in his class at school and also Henry Rowlings - his second cousin. He started to play at the end of last year and has improved a lot this year. Tonight he got his highest score ever - 4 goals so he was very proud of himself! He obviously takes after his Mum and not his Dad when it comes to basketball skills!!! ha ha When I was young I remember my Mum and Dad offering me $1 for every goal I got (I mustn't have been very good back then, as they must have know their money was pretty safe!). I thought about doing that earlier in the year for Jay, but I'm glad I didn't now that he is improving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...