Sunday 27 December 2020

Our Christmas

I wish I could feel the excitement and joy that I used to feel at Christmas time, but to be honest it's just a day that I dread and can't wait to be over. I think that big days like Christmas just really heighten the emotions, and remind you even more of who is missing in  your life.  My friend Megan (who I've only met online at the moment....we met as her story is very similar to mine.  Her husband also died from a heart attack while they were on holiday together) explains it much better than I can

I did my Christmas shopping over two days at the end of November, which meant we could put up the tree and not think about it too much, till it got closer.  The tree has definitely shrunk over the years! This was the first year Kobe could put the star on, without being lifted up. 



Christmas felt extra weird this year.  Covid restrictions made sure that lots of our usual traditions such as going to Carols by Candlelight and getting a Santa photo didn't happen.  I actually like all the events leading up to Christmas Day such as Carols, end of year work dinners, sharing gifts with friends etc. but then I just wish we could skip Christmas day and get on with summer holidays.  

I've always loved the Christmas cards that Americans send out with their family photos on them.  They're so special and I love seeing how families change every year.  It's not common to do it in Australia, but we do it every year. This year's photo is my favourite one yet.  It was taken by Clint and Bethanie who was raising money for Feeding the Homeless.  You just had to donate any amount and were given a digital copy of your family photo.  
We still went and looked at the lights this year. Kobe was excited to have two of his best mates sleep over, the weekend after school finished, and we had a look at some lights together. 
We had our usual Christmas Eve picnic on the floor for tea, but it didn't feel the same as Harri wasn't with us (he had a better offer from his girlfriend :)
It's nice now that the boys are older, that Christmas morning doesn't start too early.  The boys all bought me lovely gifts which they had gone out and picked out themselves.  It means a lot, that they're able to do that now.  
For breakfast the boys requested crepes. 

We headed out to my brother Eden and Steph's house around lunch time.  We were all so full from a late breakfast, so just had nibbles at lunchtime, before heading to the beach for a few hours.  

I love going to the beach on Christmas Day as it makes it feel more like a normal day, and easier to cope with.  Eden took his jet ski and my older boys had so much fun going on the ski biscuit on the back of it.  They don't get to do things like that often, so it's heaps of fun for them.   I was the 'spotter' while they were on the ski biscuit and it was hilarious watching them bounce around.  It was good to have a laugh.  Afterwards we had a big cricket game, with some of my cousins who turned up at the beach as well. 

We then went back to Eden and Steph's for tea.  Chloe made the table look so pretty. 
I was glad that Eden and Steph were around for Christmas again this year, but we missed my other siblings. 
Kobe loves hanging out with his cousins, and couldn't wait for some of his cousins to come up from Glen Huon on Boxing Day.  
I'm glad that Christmas is over for another year, and are so happy to be on summer holidays.  I'm ready for lots of relaxation and sun (hopefully...it doesn't really feel like summer yet).  I know the holidays are going to be finished, before we know it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...