Tuesday 22 December 2020

I'll See You in the Next One

My cousin Jarom was larger than life.  He was known for doing crazy stunts and just living life to the fullest.  Whenever I think of Jarom, I think of him with a huge smile for anyone and everyone. I love that a lot of Jarom's life has been captured on video and I loved watching those videos again, over the past month and a half.  

A month and a half ago, Jarom's last post on Facebook said 'I'll see you in the next one'.  Not long after, he took his own life. His story isn't mine to tell, but I couldn't not post about my crazy, fun cousin, who was loved by everyone who knew him.  

As soon as he passed away, my cousin Toni started a cousin group chat.  There are many of us, and we shared photos and stories, and laughed and cried together.  A few days before Jarom's funeral it was lovely to get together as an extended family to decorate his 'peace pod'.  Sam is very clever and did a lot of the main decorating. 

We all got to write a message to Jarom on the peace pod.  Being there together as a family and decorating his peace pod, was just what we all needed.  There was lots of tears, but also lots of laughs. 
My heart breaks for Levi and Em, and the whole family as they grieve for their brother and son. 
Jarom lived in Queensland and we haven't spent a lot of time with Levi over the years, so Kobe was so excited to see a 'Tassie Boy' (check out their YouTube channel!) in the flesh.  He's keen to go gold prospecting with Levi during the holidays. 
It was fun to go for rides on the farm with Auntie Deidre. It was just what we all needed after a hard week of lots of tears. 
Auntie Deidre asked me to take photos at Jarom's funeral, which I was very happy to do. I love to be given a job and to feel useful. 
His service was absolutely beautiful and all the cousins were asked to sing a song, that we used to sing at church as kids.  It was hard to hold it together and I think most of us were doing more crying, than singing, but it was really special to all sing together. 
I love that they decided to transport his peace pod to the cemetery in the trailer. 
Everyone was asked to wear bright colours, to match Jarom's personality. 
It was such a hot day.  We were lucky in Tasmania that even though we have Covid restrictions that a lot of people were able to attend the funeral.  At the graveside a friend played his favourite song, which was beautiful. 
We took the opportunity to get a photo of all the cousins who were there. Some flew down from Sydney and Queensland (including my brother Chrish) to be there. Lots of them are missing - we are a very big family. 
We then got a photo of all the kids of the cousins who were there.  Later we worked out that between all of us cousins, we have 90 children of our own! Obviously they weren't all at the funeral. I wish you could've stayed Spazz, but I hope you are now at peace.  I'll see you in the next one. Love you. 

1 comment:

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...