Saturday 3 October 2020

Snow!

Well this is one blog post I never thought I'd be writing, but then again all I could say that about most of my blog.  

Back on the 4th of August the weather forecast was for snow at low levels.  If we ever want to go to the snow, we have to drive an hour away to the mountains or lakes where it often snows during winter.  Every few years we might be lucky to get a few flakes of snow where we live but it quickly melts. 

That night I went to a class at the gym/pool after work and got home about 7:45 pm.  As I pulled up it was just starting to snow a little, but it was more like sleet.  I ran inside and yelled out to Harri and Kobe to come outside (Jay was in Hobart for Uni) and we stood out enjoying it for about 10 minutes.  As soon as it hit our hands or the ground it would melt, but we went to bed excited to know that we got a little bit of snow. 

During the night I woke up and heard it 'raining' and thought it sounded really heavy but went straight back to sleep.  When I woke in the morning I got on my phone as I usually do, and a friend who lives up the road had posted on her Instagram story that they had snow at their house.  My heart started racing as I realised that if she had snow, then the chances of us having snow were pretty high as well. 

I ran outside and really couldn't believe my eyes!! There was so much snow which had settled everywhere! I ran inside and yelled to the boys to get out of bed and hurry up and get outside. They were just as amazed as I was! 

It was so heavy that a lot of our branches on our trees and bushes had broken. As we never have snow I was expecting it to melt quickly, so we stayed out for ages and just played in it.  

To see everything covered in snow was so magical. 

 

I really couldn't believe as I looked out over our suburb that there was snow everywhere.  I've lived in snow when I lived in Idaho a long time ago, and at first it was very exciting, but after a few weeks the novelty quickly wore off.  To have snow here though was very exciting as I knew it was a once in a lifetime experience for us here. 
A few schools were closed for the day as they had lost power or had roof damage from the snow, but our school was business as usual.  It felt so strange to drive to school in the snow. I kept pulling over to take photos as it was surreal seeing snow everywhere. 
I wondered how far the snow would stretch and didn't expect it to be at the school I work at, as it is a fifteen minute drive from home.  It was amazing to see that it was there as well (but not as heavy as what we had it at home).  The basketball courts were so icy and slippery. The kids were all so excited about it and it was awesome to experience snow with some of my students for the first time. 

It was incredible that the snow hung around till after lunch, and even when I got home from work there was still some snow in our garden in the shady spots.   All day all everyone ever talked about what the snow.  The news reported that it was a once in 75 year event.  
The next day when I was driving to work, I had to pull over again to take another photo to compare the difference from the day before. 
It snowed on a Wednesday and there was still snow just twenty minutes from home at Hollybank Forest, on the weekend.  Kobe and I headed out to have another play in the snow while Harri was at work.  It was actually a really warm day so we were surprised there was still so much snow around.  






We still talk about the snow day a lot and say we wish we could do it all over again.  It's a day we will  never forget.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...