Saturday 27 April 2019

Mum to a Uni Student

The year is flying by and we are just about to finish two weeks of school holidays so I thought it was time to catch up on my blog.  I feel like not much has happened this year, but then at the same time so much has happened as Jalen has moved down to Hobart to go to University, and we've entered another stage. 
When Aaron died I couldn't help but to think about the future and wonder how I would be able to cope as a single mum, and how I would give the boys everything they needed including the option of going to Uni.  I always knew there would be a time when I would have to work full time so that I could provide for the boys, and it's hard to believe that that time is already here.  I've been working full time for over two years now, but when I began working full time it was always because I knew that it was the only way I could give the boys what they deserved, especially as they've had to grow up without their Dad.


Going into this new stage has been scary, exciting and sad all at the same time.  I'm so excited that Jay gets to study something that he's so passionate about (he's doing Bachelor of Media) but it's also been really scary because we've entered another stage. It was really stressful applying for accommodation, working out how and if we could afford it, moving him down there and getting used to not having him around all the time, and of course we were sad that he wouldn't be at home all the time anymore.


We were lucky that everything fell into place and he was accepted to live at Christ College.  On the day that he moved down he drove down in his car with Erin and we also went down to help settle him in. 
His accommodation is dorm style and he gets his own single room, shares a bathroom with others on his floor and also shares a kitchenette on his floor.  If he wants to cook there is a huge commercial kitchen in another building, and there's also a café on site which sells really good meals at a good price.

Jay lives on the top floor and has an amazing view out of his window of the river.

I'm so glad that he got his Ps just before he had to go down, as he's really needed to have a car down there. His classes aren't on the main campus, so he's had to very quickly learn how to drive around Hobart.  I'm still shocked that he only just got his licence and now he's driving around Hobart.  He's just recently got a job at McDonalds at Sandy Bay.  He only has a couple of classes on campus this semester and a couple online.  It's been a good way to ease him into Uni as it's meant that he's been able to come home most weekends and works during the week.  It's been nice having him home a lot this semester as it doesn't really feel like he's moved away just yet.  We know that there will be a time when he'll be down there a lot more, so we are making the most of him being able to come home a lot while we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are so grateful for everyone's love and support, and appreciate your comments xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...